Ruby for Java programmers
November 29, 2007
My good friend Keith says he’s not starting a language war, but he wants to tell Java programmers what’s so great about Ruby. So here are the reasons:
- Generally speaking, Ruby is much quicker for development than Java, and for some projects, time to market is important.
- Ruby’s great at scripts. Java isn’t. Why not use it to automate repetitive tasks.
- Meta programming Rocks! (Actually Keith didn’t say “Rocks!”, but if he was 17, that’s what he would have said.)
- Ruby has a bunch of interesting Domain Specific Languages.
- Rails make it dead easy to build web apps.
- JRuby means that Ruby code and Rails apps can make use of standard Java libraries and be deployed in standard Java environments.